Jamaican Hominy Corn Porridge with Coconut Milk


Here is another of my favorites Hominy Corn Porridge. 



1 cup hominy corn
1 cup coconut milk or cream
3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt 
2 tbsp flour
1 cup whole milk

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Condensed Milk, as needed

METHOD
Soak hominy corn in water overnight. Pour off water (if you wish, I don't) and boil with 3 cups water, coconut milk and salt for one hour or until cooked. A pressure cooker is good for doing this especially if you did not get to soak the hominy.
 Mix flour with milk and add to the corn. Add sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. 
Condensed milk can be mixed in just before service or pour on top of porridge.
Yield: 4 servings

4 comments:

  1. You add FLOUR??! That is crazy. There is MORE than enough starch in the hominy as it is! You cook until the liquid is reduced, that's all you need to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes its a bit watery. If you are avoiding gluten than you can also use cornstarch.

      Delete
  2. I add flour. I have to consider the rest of the liquid ingredients that i end up adding (coconut milk, condensed). Plus if I leave it till its reduced I'll end up with too much hominy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always add flour or corn starch I don't like when its too much corn and that's what happen when the liquid is reduced

    ReplyDelete